7/27/2009

Delicate Beauty: Needlelace (Oya)


I am a big fan of needlelace- and traditional clothing in general. I will make posts of needlelace samples I come across around or online from time to time. Needlelace is a traditional Turkish handcraft made to decorate cloths. I will start with some of them I saw two weeks ago in the "Mobile Turkish Culture House" built in Taksim Park where the "European Capital of Culture Istanbul Gathering of World Cultures and Youth" organization was held with guests from 20 countries for one week.














The woman I talked with in the "house" showed me needlelace decorated scarves and brooches which she collected from all over Anatolia. All of them were at least 30 years old and there were even 80 year-old ones. This pink&yellow flowered one on top is a bride's crown and 50 years old. Isn't it just beautiful?






No comments:

Post a Comment