7/26/2009

Sea Gulls on my Sweater

I liked this idea I saw on a blog so much and decided that moment to do it. It came out just how I wanted. Here's how I did for those who want to try:

-I drew the birds myself since I didn't have a pattern sample.

-A plain white or white fabric with little patterns on (like flowered) results better on a dark colored cloth. First I cut the birds out of a flowered red fabric but it didn't have that effect. I guess they look like sea gulls that way so white looks better.

-I made them smallest to biggest, and stitched the smallest begining from the shoulder, that way the birds look like they are coming from distant creating a perspective.

-There are three birds on the original one but I made four, you can increase it if you like!

-First I tried to stitch them on the sweater directly but the threads on the edges came off as the pieces are very small. So I fixed an interfacing. You can find interfacing in fabric stores. It is a supply which is fixed in the back of the fabric by ironing and keeps the fabric stable.
(First I drew the birds on the fabric, cut them out and then placed them on the interfacing)
















Place the pieces face up on the shiny face of the interfacing and iron it. Warning:put a fabric under the interface while ironing, or it sticks to the surface you are ironing on.
-After ironing, remove the fabric you had put under. The interfacing sticked to the reverse side of the birds.
- Cut the birds out again.

-If you don't fix the birds with a pin while stitching them on the sweater, they slip and change direction unnoticed.
-Please send the results if you try, I will be happy to post here!
-Good luck! :)




















































































No comments:

Post a Comment